Today’s Inspired Action: Make Your Own Crackers!
I have found these far out-do any store bought cracker. You will feel so satisfied making this lovely treat. Plus, you know EXACTLY what goes into every one of these little wonders. The recipe has been modified, considering the average taste buds. I like things a little more herby. So I put about 1 and a half times the amount listed. I adore the nutritional yeast when making these as well. You may not like the cheesy flavor. If it’s not your thing… simply omit. These are super good — especially with goat cheese and pepper slices. Yum!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp [not packed] brown sugar
- Herbs of your liking: I like a pinch of parsley, thyme, basil, rosemary & oregano
- optional – 2 tbsp nutritional yeast – which gives it that cheesy flavor
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp pumpkin – to be added into the melted butter – option for spreading onto cracker before baking
- Pepita seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salt, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare two baking sheets with parchment or a non-stick mat.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients very well (flours, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, herbs of your choice, nutritional yeast, ground flax, flax seeds, sesame seeds).
- In a small bowl mix the almond milk, minced garlic, and olive oil.
- Mix the wet and dry mixture and stir well.
- Mix dough with hands thoroughly until a ball forms.
- Section the single ball into two balls and set one aside.
- Flour a surface and roll the ball a bit to get it a bit covered in flour. Then roll out the dough into a large rectangle.
- Life gently and place onto a baking sheet. Trim sides where necessary.
- With a butter knife, cut the shape of crackers you desire. You can also use cookie cutters.
- With a pastry brush take your melted butter and spread onto cracker. If you want to give the cracker a pumpkin flavor, add in pumpkin and spread on cracker.
- Sprinkle with desired seeds and salt and then roll the seeds into the crackers with a pastry roller so they will not tend to falling off so much.
- Bake for about 25-28 minutes at 350F. The crackers around the edge will cook faster. Rotate them if desired. Crackers will firm up once cooling out of the oven.